Monday, May 23, 2005

words of wisdom or wit

so i am supposed to submit a 'contributor's quote' to silhouette since they're publishing two of my poems in the fall (famous, personal, or otherwise). any ideas? i post them on the blog occasionally, so i might page back through a pick a favorite. here's what i've come up with so far:

"I would explain, but then you would understand my explanation, not what I said." - James Richardson
"Don’t cross this field unless you can do it in 9.9 seconds. The bull can do it in 10."- Anonymous, 1985
"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn’t brood. I’d type a little faster."- Isaac Asimov, author of 289 books, 1984
"My vigor, vitality and cheek repel me. I am the kind of woman I would run from."- Nancy, Lady Astor, 1955
"I don’t believe in dying. It’s been done. I’m working on a new exit. Besides, I can’t die now—I’m booked."- George Burns, 1987
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."- Herm Albright
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."- Eleanor Roosevelt
"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity."- Gilda Radner
"Of all the ways to avoid living, perfect discipline is the most admired."-James Richardson
"To be fair, English is full of booby traps for the unwary foreigner. Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled." - Billy Bryson in The Mother Tongue
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Buddha
"Do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

vote on one from the list or post one of your own :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about, "Be cool. I don't know your life."

Anonymous said...

or this - "You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose."

Anonymous said...

"My daddy can beat up your daddy."

Unknown said...

hmm... all good suggestions, but i was going for something a bit more profound ;) you know, like a starbucks cup! ha ha...

Anonymous said...

I vote on Buddha.