Tuesday, March 22, 2005

my morning routine

one of the great things about blogging is you can post things that are of absolutely no interest whatsoever to anyone but you. now ideally of course, other people are interested and read and are entertained -- i decided to walk that oh-so-dangerous line and post something of possible little to no interest ;) you tell me. if left to my own devices, i tend to run on the exact same schedule every morning --

5:30 am: alarm 1 goes off, hit snooze, snuggle back into covers
5:38 am: alarm 1 goes off again, repeat above
5:45 am: alarm 2 goes off, get up, turn off alarm 2, turn off alarm 1, pull cleo out of bed and set her on the floor, walk to take her out, stand just inside while she runs outside
5:42 am: different clock ;) clocks in my room are 4 minutes fast. feed the dog, grind coffee, start the coffee maker-- return to my room, put toothpaste on my toothbrush and get back in bed to brush teeth, splash water on face and put contacts in
5:55ish am: take cleo out again, then back in the kitchen - pour one mug for home, one travel mug for work- back to room to shower, then dressed, then hair and makeup
6:25 am: put shoes on, cuddle dog, put dog in crate
6:33 am: grab coffee and bag and leave

typically this puts me in the car at 6:39 (where the clock is 4 minutes fast again). i find it odd (and a little disturbing) that i'm so repeatable -- but i guess it makes sense. now that i see my entire routine on paper the industrial engineer in me wants to improve the process ;)
now that i've effectively postponed doing any real work (i have homework i REALLY don't want to do right now, which is the only explanation i have for the above), i'll get back to it ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Bri, I do find this interesting, a couple of things in particular.
1: You brush your teeth while in bed. Apparently you also splash water on your face and put contacts in while in bed. Go go gadget arms ;)
2: You brush your teeth before you take a shower. Teeth-brushing is always the last thing I do before I leave the house.
3: Our coffee drinking habits are very similar. I brew 4 cups. I pour 1.5 cups into a mug for the house, and 2.5 cups into my travel mug.
4: I'll start thinking of ways to improve the process. I think the first focus should be on reducing total travel distance :)

Anonymous said...

Now normally I get paid for ideas that are this good, but for you two...it's free.

Have you two considered moving your beds into your respective bathrooms? It would definitely reduce the total travel distance. If you really wanted to reduce your travel distance, you could move your beds and coffee pots into the showers: shower while you sleep...make coffee while you shower...

With ideas like these, I should be an Industrial Engineering consultant!

Anonymous said...

Ok, now on to a more realistic suggestion ;)

Moving the bed into the bathroom/shower represents an infeasible solution, because the bed would not fit into the bathroom or the shower. Now, you could argue that if you had a bigger bathroom, bigger shower, or smaller bed, it would fit. But that would require moving to a new apartment and/or purchasing a new bed, and the travel distance required for that, plus the start-up cost, are not justified.

So, the focus needs to be on reducing the number of trips from the bedroom to the kitchen, bedroom to bathroom, etc...I'm a busy grad student so I'll have to think more on this later.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking outside of the box. ;)

I have other great ideas, but those'll cost you.

Unknown said...

ha ha -- you two have too much time on your hands -- but i knew that ;)
travel time could definitely be reduced- for example, why do i hit snooze, but then completely turn it off before it goes off again? i should just turn it off at 5:38 so it doesn't need to be hit again (travel time reduction!)
and the reason i head to the kitchen and back is that i like to pour myself a cup of coffee BEFORE i get in the shower so that it will cool and be a good drinking temp by the time i get out :) and i used to brush my teeth last, but needed a filler while the coffee was brewing - hence why i splash water on my face right before i get in the shower, which also doesn't make much sense, but i had room for another activity before the coffee finished brewing.
wow we're dorks...

Anonymous said...

i don't brush my teeth because i've calculated that one trip to the dentist a year is less travel time than twice a day every day... just a thought from a brillant, gorgeous and in all others ways, perfect person.

Ryan