Tuesday, October 21, 2003

from the archives....

this one's from awhile back, but as i've been away from arizona for some time now, it's appropriate ;)

Most of All, Your Skies

Arizona, I feel you calling me
deep inside late nights when I am almost asleep,
I feel your breath through the window
-a raspy dust-filled breeze-
drift across my cheek
and whisper past my ear.

Arizona, I sleep fitfully and wake from dreams of you
only to feel the loss of your landscapes,
a saguaro cactus silhouetted against your twilight,
your mountains basking in strands of sun,
the intoxicating scent of orange blossoms in spring,
the way palm fronds thrash in a summer monsoon,
but most of all, your skies. There are so many.
Evening skies filled with dust illuminated in color
by the fading sun. Skies filled with clouds
that missed black by mere shades, rolling overhead
across cerulean on late summer afternoons.

They all drift about me as your breath does-
pulling me into the only place where I can find you.

No comments: