Tuesday, July 19, 2005

reminiscence


hard to believe i've already been living and breathing in blacksburg for three years now. when i moved here, i knew no one. i hardly had any furniture, save a bed that was my graduation gift, and a few lawn chairs in the living room, faced toward my tv that sat directly on the floor. eventually, i decided they weren't comfortable at length, and pulled the twin mattress from my extra room in. a big night for me was stopping by kroger after work to purchase a frozen pizza and a bottle of wine. and since i didn't have cable, the guy at video update thought i had nothing better to do than rent a movie every day of the week. i did love my little windsor hills apartment, the first residence of my very own. i kept things freakishly clean, for at least two reasons (1) i had all kinds of time on my hands (2) there was no furniture to move!
i did some random things though that i enjoyed and now, would probably never find time for! i wandered blacksburg, took pictures of anything and everything: lyric, farmers' market, golf course, barns, ellet valley. i drove to pulaski one weekend and wandered around, lured by the furniture company there, but figured out it wasn't my style and ended up just kind of wandering through the sleepy downtown. i drove up to roanoke, down the parkway, went to every retail store in the county. it's funny now to think back on all that, as most times i am surrounded by great friends and keep a pleasant running pace outside of work :) it only took about six months for several things to occur: my sister moved here, we started hanging out with our neighbors, my company hired several more people my age, etcetera. all resulting in my quite happy existence now :)

1 comment:

Rex said...

Ahhh, the days of old..

And for the record the only reason we started hanging out with the Montaverde sisters was because Bri made an amazing cheesecake for our "Pot Luck Thanksgiving Feast". If it weren't for that she'd likely be lost wondering around Pulaski :)

JOKING!

Miss ya Bri!

Your Neighbor,
Joey